Sunday, January 29, 2012

One Week to A1C Day


I know it isn't a true indication of diabetes "Control" - scratch that - Management. What the heck is control anyway? A very cool, very smart, very funny man known as Diabetes Dad posted a funny on FB last week. I will copy it below but know I don't claim any credit for it and further I can't find where I copied it from other than it was a link on the FB page of  Tom Karlya .




If I can find said link I will share it because aside from the above picture there were others. See I am a huge LOTR fan (not to mention the small fact that Viggo Mortensen who played Aragorn is not the least bit hard on the eyes). Anyway for those that have not memorized the LOTR movies, there is a scene in which it is told that to destroy the ring it must be thrown into the fires of Mordor. "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its black gates are guarded by more than just orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume. Not with ten thousand men could you do this. It is folly." The most difficult thing imaginable right? Thus one does not simply "Control Diabetes". Not that managing diabetes without letting IT manage your life is the most difficult thing imaginable. I have met and know many whom manage IT very well but "control" -  I don't know that word will ever fit. Here is where I admit that I have not merely digressed but have actually jumped trains from the point of my original post and will return you now to the regularly scheduled programming.

Both of my kids have their quarterly Endo appointments a week from tomorrow. (Albeit not with their regular Doctor - I was notified that she is leaving the practice and this saddens me deeply and I dearly hope she will stay local with a new practice so we can follow her - (insert sigh affirming hope and recognition that I have strayed from topic). This last week has been a diabetes roller coaster riddled with failed sites and forgotten boluses. Multiple huge highs for both kiddos and a number of over corrections resulting in some ugly lows thus causing rebound highs. I'd like to get off this ride please.

I know I am not alone when I feel as though all things go kablooey (medical term) the week or two prior to an endo visit. Knowing (or rather having been told by various diabetes educators and doctors) that just 2 missed boluses a week can result in an increased A1C by as much as .5%. We don't usually miss 2 boluses a week - normally - but the week or two before the endo visits we sure seem to. Again - the A1C (Glycated Hemoglobin average over a 2-3 month period) - is not a perfect report card regarding diabetes management - however it always feels like one. The A1C is considered a fair indicator of future complications though from my understanding. Ideally I should try to keep my kids A1Cs in the low 7 range (normal non-diabetic range is 4-6). I've never been pushed to try to get them to the normal range because it is believed that having a "normal" number would likely mean a great deal of low blood sugars or higher risk of low blood sugars since the A1C is an average of blood sugars over the 3 month period.

I know that most that would care to read this know all this and likely know a great deal more than me. This post serves two purposes - well turns out three but the last was by accident. First - I get to vent and talk through things in my head. Second - it opens the door to those who are smarter than me or have valuable information or thoughts to share to leave comments that I (and others) can learn from. The third and accidental purpose was to allow me to share a picture of Viggo.

Still learning this blog thing - thanks for checking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment