Thursday, April 12, 2012

This one is when you first learned to ride a bike...
Day 12 Health Activist Writer's Month Challenge


Today's challenge was to start with this phrase: “Today I looked in the mirror and…” Keep writing. Don’t stop for 15 minutes. Don’t edit. Post. Go!

At six am the alarm clock that I keep in my bathroom (15 feet from my bed so I have to get up to turn it off) alerted me it was time to leave dream land and begin the day. I disagreed and stumbled to the counter to hit the snooze button. Nine minutes later it tried again, still I disagreed and hit the snooze button. At 6:18 I gave in and got up. Remembering what today's prompt was I paused to find my reflection.

Today I looked in the mirror and was aghast at what I saw at first. My eyes were sunk in punctuated by dark circles. My hair seeming to try to escape from my exhausted body in every direction. The seam of my dear husbands pillow imprinted on my cheek since my Middles had stolen my favorite pillow. The red lines stretching out from my iris's reminding me (like I needed a reminder) that it had only been about 3.5 hours since I laid my head down. Upon closer observation I had realized I hadn't removed my make-up from the day before - thus it helped define the many wrinkles that surround my eyes. I'm not gonna lie - the wrinkles aroudn my eyes make me sad. Feeling sad made me frown and I really didn't like my reflection at that point. Thus I smiled at myself - only that caused my eyes to become narrower and the wrinkles more prominent. Still smiling I pulled at the wrinkles - only that made me look like I was making some insensitive joke about Asians. At that point an image of an actress (I don't remember who) in a movie (I don't remember which) came to mind. In the movie the actress is speaking to her child I believe and explaining which wrinkle came from varying events in the child's life (child may have been an adult). Pointing out each wrinkle saying things like "this one is from when you learned to ride a bike. This one is from when you learned to drive a car" etc. (The fact that I can't recall the name of the movie or the exact actress will taunt me the rest of the day so if you know this movie please feel free to comment.) So here I am sleep deprived, looking like I was droped from the ugly tree - twice - deciding which wrinkles were for what events in my life. Assigning each wrinkle to an event good-bad-or ugly reminded me that I have lived a good life since I had more positive reasons to name wrinkles than negatives. Feeling a bit better about the wrinkles I waved goodbye (literally waved - I am a dork) to my reflection and moved on with my morning.

SO now I am supposed to post without editing or even running a spell check. This may suck - I haven't even read what I wrote and I am a natoriously poor speller. Lets chalk any bad grammar or poor spelling to sleep deprivation and call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment