Monday, May 28, 2012

What Dreams May Come




This morning I woke up and thought the previous 48 hours were a dream. Then I saw the mini meter on my nightstand and Middles sleeping peacefully on the other side of the bed. I so badly wanted it to all be a dream.

I continue to check Middles blood sugars first thing in the morning, before meals and postprandial. Today his numbers did not spike above 149 and he woke up at 93. He was away from me over the lunch period so I could not check and he was not comfortable taking a meter with him to a friends house. He doesn't want his friends to know until he hears it from a doctor.

I have not allowed him high glycemic index foods. Yes I know people with Type 1 diabetes can eat the cupcake but right now I am going to try my best to limit the fast acting carbs and let his pancreas rest (not giving him insulin yet). I'm trying to avoid the spikes and preserve beta cell function.

If newly diagnosed people go through a "honeymoon" phase I would say Middles is still in the "engagement" phase. I know the storm is coming (although I pray hourly that for the first time in my entire life I am wrong).

Middles fell asleep in my arms last night while lying in my bed with me. He was crying and voicing all his fears. His last words before sniffling himself to sleep were "at least now I get to attend Texas Lions Camp." Texas Lions Camp is a week long sleep away camp for kids with diabetes. Sweetstuff will be attending for the 3rd time this summer and Sugarboy will go for the first time this year since he is now old enough. The problem is - camp is full. There is a waiting list.

My first prayer is that I am so very very wrong.
If I can't have that - maybe there will be someway to get Middles into camp.


2 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to your family. I pray it is NOT. Godspeed my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you'd be wrong...sadly those Mommy-gut-instincts rarely are. (Sometimes I REALLY hate that!)
    Maybe if you contact the Camp Director? Maybe they can bend a rule or two for a newbie who smashes all odds?
    Hugs and prayers for you both.

    ReplyDelete